Sports medical check-ups
Sports medical examination in the cardiology department of Clinica Rotger.
Reconocimiento cardiológico en la Unidad de Cardiología Deportiva de la Clínica Rotger.
En un reconocimiento cardiológico deportivo se evalúa:
· Sports medical anamnesis, including the usual items (anamnesis, symptoms, ...) and with special consideration of the person's workload.
· Physical examination, with special consideration of the cardiovascular system (heart murmurs,...)
· Blood test to assess the athlete's nutritional status and to detect abnormalities that may affect performance (anaemia,...) and signs of fatigue.
· Electrocardiogram, in accordance with the recommendations of the European Society of Cardiology, as a basic tool for assessing heart problems.
· Echocardiogram, to provide complete anatomical and functional information. It is an essential test for the detection of: Myocardiopathies (which are the main cause of sudden death in adolescents), valvulopathies, diseases of the aorta or anomalies in the origin of the coronary arteries. It also allows the doctor to assess the degree of adaptation to the above-mentioned workloads.
· Exercise test, or ergometry, which evaluates the capacity and reaction of the body during physical activity by applying a measurable and dosed work load. On the other hand, it sometimes makes it possible to unmask pathologies (coronary or arrhythmic) that are not visible at rest. At the request of the athlete or his/her coach, the study is supplemented by ergospirometry, a specific stress test that also encodes data on respiratory exchanges and pulmonary ventilation, which provides very valuable information for personalising training and defining strategies in competition.
· Anamnesis of the athlete's sports medical history:
With the global analysis of the acquired data, it is possible to create a detailed medical report that allows the best programming of physical preparation and the optimization of the range and intensity of the training load in order to achieve maximum athletic performance and above all to carry out physical exercises with greater guarantees.
Thus, sports medical cardiology is a tool aimed at preventing negative effects on the athlete's health. The clinical study of the capacity and performance of each athlete serves to improve the athlete's results by providing objective information on their physical capabilities.